It’s hard to believe that the Brit Awards are 30 years old this year. I remember when the Brits winners would be announced and the music magazines would immediately be full of adverts for the Britannia catalogue – remember that? Five CDs for the price of one and you only had to buy three CDs per year for two years afterward? Man, those were the days…I still have some of those CDs in my collection!
But times have moved on, and the Brit Awards are all about the digital age. And to that end, the good people of MySpace UK conducted an online poll to discover the favourite Brits quotes of the last 30 years. Sadly, our memory spans are sorely limited, so you won’t find anything from before 1995 – but some of these quotes are classics you’ll recognise straight away and the others are just inspired egotistical mayhem!
- (2007) Russell Brand “Amy Winehouse – her surname’s beginning to sound like a description of her liver.” (23% of the vote)
- (2000) Robbie Williams challenges Liam Gallagher to a televised fight: “So, anybody like to see me fight Liam? Would you pay to come and see it? Liam, a hundred grand of your money and a hundred grand of my money? We’ll get in a ring and we’ll have a fight and you can all watch it on TV, what d’you think about that?” (15%)
- (1996) Liam Gallagher “Anyone tough enough to take us off the stage can come up now.” Referring to the presenter, Chris Evans, he added: “It will take more than Ginger Bollocks to throw us off.” (14%)
- (2004) Justin Timberlake “This is only my first record so you guys stick with me, we’ve got depression and drug addiction to go through.” (9%)
- (1998) Bjork accepts the best international female award: “I am a grateful grapefruit.” (7%)
- (1996) Noel Gallagher to Michael Hutchence “Why is a has-been presenting to the gonna-bes?”(7%)
- (1997) Mel C (Sporty Spice) to Liam Gallagher “Come and have a go if you think you’re hard enough”. Gallagher had previously stated in the British media that he “wasn’t going to the Brit Awards because if he bumped into the Spice Girls, he would smack them.” (6%)
- (1996) Bob Geldolf presents Michael Jackson with a special award: “When he sings, it is with the voice of angels. When his feet move, you can see God dancing.” (5%)
- (2004) Kerry Katona “You all look so clean and smell lovely… I just farted.” (5%)
- (1995) Elton John “It’s very nice to get this award at this time of life, going through the male menopause — or even the female menopause.” (4%)
I think we can agree that the Gallagher brothers were the originators of many of the quotes. The Mancunian mouthpieces either made the outrageous comments themselves, or inspired someone to take a pop at them in the middle of their acceptance speech.
It’s times like this you miss the manky-looking sods.