Now that the excellent Game of Thrones is finished its first season, the fourth season of HBO’s other landmark fantasy series True Blood begins next week.
In the new promo clip, we get lots of tantalising hints of what’s to come. Here are a few I picked up on:
- Sookie’s (Anna Paquin) blood still tastes really good. As Eric (Alexander Skarsgärd), in the corny spirit of some of the dialogue in Charlaine Harris’ books, tells her it tastes like “sunshine in a pretty blonde bottle”.
- Speaking of Sookie and Eric, there’s a lot of flirtatiousness and sexy playfulness going on between them. Looks like they’ll be following the books pretty closely on this storyline which should have Sookie/Eric (Erookie?) shippers dancing with glee.
- Looks like the fallout of Russell Edgington’s (Denis O’Hare) attack on the newscaster last season will finally have some fallout produced from it with distrust of vampires growing rapidly and poor Jessica (Deborah Ann Woll), Hoyt (Jim Parrack) and Pam (Kristin Bauer van Straten) receiving some of the brunt of it.
- But apparently, shifty Bill (Stephen Moyer) is trying to get back in the humans’ good books again in the role of some kind of magister or maybe even vampire king! Whatever kind of power it is, it’s not enough ’cause he appears to be working for the delightfully bitchy Nan Flanagan (Jessica Tuck).
- Meanwhile a fortune teller, Marnie (played by the excellent Fiona Shaw), seems capable of resurrecting not only animals but people with the help of her witch coven. But it looks like Marnie may be possessed by an evil witch, who happens to be very attractive – but most likely crazy!
- Then the clip speeds up and we get some brief shots of Sookie blasting back fairy queen Mab, Pam throwing poor Lafayette back into the Fangtasia dungeon where he faced trauma at the hands of Eric in Season 2,