POW! Rihanna knocks our resident girlbander and X Factor judge Cheryl Cole down a spot and claims the #1 for herself this week.
It’s OK, Cheryl won’t be crying for long though – she’s got the #1 album this week, so it’s not like her chihuahuas are going to starve. Anyhoo, let’s have a look at this week’s top ten singles:
- Rihanna – Only Girl (In The World): A welcome return of the feminine, fun Rihanna. She’s discarded the ‘edgy’ look of her last album and is back with a straight pop track. Welcome back, Rihanna!
- Cheryl Cole – Promise This: The divisive Cheryl Cole single – some of us on Shout (me) love it, others (OddOne) hate it. What’s your take?
- Alexis Jordan – Happiness: Nope. Sorry, never heard of you.
- Katy Perry – Firework: And awesome autumn anthem from my favourite fembot, but it’s just not looking like it’s going to hit #1 this time round. In spite of an all-pervasive marketing campaign.
- Bruno Mars – Just The Way You Are (Amazing): Still loving this Bruno Mars track. But he makes the rest of us males look really unromantic. We must lynch him.
- Cee Lo Green – Forget You: And again – still loving Cee Lo’s awesome, sweary track.
- Mike Posner – Cooler Than Me: I feel bad that we never actually reviewed Mike Posner’s song. It turns out that it’s a really good track, and I love how Posner has this geeky rapping style.
- Nelly – Just A Dream: Nelly’s comeback track – I haven’t heard much of it. Seems good enough, but not a patch on Hot In Herre.
- Duck Sauce – Barbra Streisand: classified as “Entertaining novelty track”, I enjoy it but it’s destined to slip out of the top ten next week.
- The Saturdays ft Flo Rida – Higher: And I can’t believe that the addition of ‘guest star’ Flo Rida didn’t propel this higher up the chart. It’s one of the best, most uplifting tracks the girls have released. Though #10 isn’t too bad, is it?
Travesty of the week is that BoB’s single with Rivers Cuomo hasn’t managed a higher position. It’s one of the best tracks I’ve heard in the last couple of months.