- May 12, 2010 at 3:57 pm #2447
Another popular forum topic is this list of funeral songs and songs about death that was published a couple of years ago. It was in response to the Telegraph’s list of top funeral songs. I’ve added my original post and some of my favourite responses. Don’t forget to have your say and leave a comment!
You can compile a list for just about anything, and this list of the most requested funeral songs is proof of that:
- Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life – Eric Idle / Monty Python
- Cabaret – Liza Minnelli
- Wish Me Luck As You Wave Me Goodbye – Gracie Fields
- My Way – Sid Vicious
- They’re Coming To Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa – Napoleon
- Fame! I Want To Live Forever – The cast of Fame
- We’ve Gotta Get Out Of This Place – The Animals
- Going Underground – The Jam
- Spirit In The Sky – Dr and The Medics
- Enjoy Yourself, It’s Later Than You Think – The Specials
Surely we can come up with a better list of funeral songs or songs about death?
Emma came up with this great list of 10 funeral songs:
- Angels by Robbie Williams coz everyone has wanted that played at their funeral at one point or another.
- The Great Escape Theme – just to throw a daft one in.
- Bring Me to Life by Evanessance
- I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston
- Bat Out of Hell by Meatloaf
- Heaven Can Wait by Meatloaf
- Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton
- Grieve by Peter Gabriel
- I’ll Be Missing You by Puff Daddy and Faith Evans
- Candle in the Wind by Elton John
A few more of my own suggestions:
- The End – The Doors
- Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me – George Michael
- Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door – Bob Dylan
- Don’t Fear The Reaper – Blue Oyster Cult
OK, that should be plenty to kick things off! What are your suggestions for great funeral songs?
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.