Is Jon Bon Jovi losing his voice?

Home Forums Is Jon Bon Jovi losing his voice?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Gerard McGarry Gerard McGarry 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

I’ve been a fan of Bon Jovi forever, but since they took a more country music direction in recent years, I confess I haven’t listened to the band’s newer material much. I was really only in it for the rock attitude, the big hair and the widdly guitar solos.

In the last couple of weeks, Bon Jovi have been on X Factor, and they also performed on last night’s MTV European Music Awards (the one where most – if not all – of the prizes went to Americans!). I visibly winced when I heard the quality of Jon’s voice on their classic songs. 

It’s gone from being the singer of powerful rock anthems to a rather feeble, winded version of what it once was. It’s horrible to hear those classic Bon Jovi songs with about 65% of the power behind them. It’s the equivalent of listening to Ritchie Sambora play only every other note in his solos.

This is a frustrating subject to raise, because fans will unflinchingly, loyally deny that Jon’s voice has diminished over the years. But it happens, and it can happen to the best of singers. I joked on Twitter last night that Bon Jovi needed a new frontman and almost got my head chopped off by a couple of itrate fans. However, I’m not happy with his voice anymore, and I can see why Jovi’s musical style has changed, maybe in part because he needs less challenging material to sing.

And of course, this has no prejudice to the man himself, who created some of the best rock of the 80s and early 90s. I just wish people would acknowledge it and not pretend that he’s as good a singer as he was in his twenties.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php
Skip to toolbar