Paranormal Activity – ***WARNING: MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!!!****

Home Forums Sci-Fi & Cult TV Paranormal Activity – ***WARNING: MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!!!****

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Emz Emz 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Emz

How many of you have seen this movie and how many of you appreciated it for its out-and-out genious?

Let’s take a look at the facts. A budget of $1500, an Eastern European (I think?) writer/director/producer, less than 2 weeks, an army of supportive family and friends willing to be cast and crew for peanuts or free, and a hand-held camcorder. I know what you’re thinking – “This sounds scarily like a rip-off of Blair Witch?” Well, yes and no. Yes, the whole handheld shaky cam and “what you don’t see is what you should totally worry about!” idea are very reminiscent of Blair Witch… but this is SO superior.

For those of you who haven’t seen it, allow me to give you a little of the synposis (I will try my best not to give too much away)….. here goes.

Our story begins with young Day Trader Mikah (like Mica the singer) screwing around in the house with his latest toy – a massive, state-of-the-art camcorder. On the surface, it would appear that this is just the latest addition to his little gadget collection and that he just bought it for sh*ts and giggles…. until live-in girlfriend Katie arrives home from college and we are introduced to the idea that the camera and other assorted recording equipment have been bought by Mikah with the intention of trying to record some very scary bumps in the night which have been occurring while they have slept the last couple of weeks.

We watch while the camera is set up, sound tests are done etc and it is apparent that neither Katie nor Mikah are taking the whole idea particularly seriously. Why would you after all – that kinda stuff just doesn’t really happen, right?

WRONG! From the first night the recording equipment is set up in the bedroom that first night, some very, very, very freaky stuff starts to happen – most of the time while Katie and Mikah are sleeping, and paranormal experts, ouija boards and other assorted desperate possible solutions do no good. This leads to possibly the most disturbing, crazy, jump-out-of-your-skin-and-scream-at-the-top-of-your-lungs middle and end of a horror movie that I have EVER seen.

You MUST see this – watch it with the lights down and the sound up and I DARE YOU not to poop your pants.

Also, there are apparently 4 endings to this movie – there is one main US release ending and one alternate US release ending, and then the EU release main ending and the EU release alternate ending. I have seen both the main and the alternate EU release endings and the main US release ending – the search for the US alternate ending continues – but I think we Brits got the good endings – I have been watching horror movies all my life and I have never had the sh***s put up me like I did having watched the British cut – AMAZING. If you are looking for REAL scares, then this is the place to start.

I hear there is a sequel in production which is due for release around Halloween too – I’m not sure I’ll bother. But for someone to make a movie this effective on a budget on $1500 and then make it back at least 1000fold in its opening couple of weeks in the US, that is truly astounding – why not try to squeeze every last cent outta the idea while it lasts? 🙂

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar