Pick your favourite song from each Led Zeppelin album!

Home Forums Pick your favourite song from each Led Zeppelin album!

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Gerard McGarry Gerard McGarry 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

So you think you’re a Led Zeppelin fan? You’ve got all the studio albums, right up to Coda and you’ve listened to them all a billion times.

The forum topic is designed to melt your noodle. From each of those Led Zep albums, can you choose your one favourite song from each of them? I know, it’s going to be difficult – Whole Lotta Love versus Heartbreaker? How do you choose? Well, I decided to kick things off with my own list. Hopefully everyone’s list will be different!

1. Led Zeppelin IYour Time Is Gonna Come: Maybe not the riff-laden classic that symbolizes Zeppelin’s early career, but I love this rich acoustic number and its organ work.
    2. Led Zeppelin IIBring It On Home: That’s more like it! A growly blues to begin with, followed by the best example of Led Zep’s raw power I could give – Bonham’s drums and Page’s tight riffing. One of my favourite album closers of all time.
    3. Led Zeppelin IIISince I’ve Been Loving You: Delicate electric blues that show the powerhouse group can play it delicate when they needed to. But Plant’s vocals alternate between a soft croon and anguished wails as the song hits its emotional crescendo. Amazing track.
    4. Led Zeppelin IVWhen The Levee Breaks: I thought I’d go the road less travelled here. Sure, you could pick Stairway, but Levee Breaks has such an apocalyptic power that it just blows me away every time. Amazing track.
    5. Houses Of The HolyThe Rain Song: Not my favourite Zep album, but some gems include the shimmering beauty of The Rain Song as well as Over The Hills and No Quarter.
    6. Physical GraffitiTen Years Gone: Zeppelin’s most eclectic collection of songs. But what Physical Graffiti lacked in stylistic cohesion, it more than makes up for in brilliant songwriting and an incredible diversity of ideas. My favourite track could change depending on what day you ask.
    7. PresenceNobody’s Fault But Mine: No contest the strongest track on Presence. The slow build up, that phased, persistent guitar riff, the sheer unadulterated rock of it all.
    8. In Through The Out DoorHot Dog: Ordinarily, I’d choose from the tender ballads at the end of the album, but Hot Dog wins for me because of its unexpected rockabilly sound and funtime approach. There’s not another Led Zeppelin song like it.
    9. CodaI Can’t Quit You Baby: This album’s such a mixed bag, but I adore the version of Quit You on here which is miles better than the original on Led Zeppelin I. It’s Plant’s tortured squawk at the beginning that sells it for me.

So there it is – my pick of the best Led Zeppelin tunes, one from each album. I’d love to hear what everybody else thinks – there are no right or wrong answers, just personal opinion. The albums I struggled with the most were LZ IV, Physical Graffiti and Coda.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php
Skip to toolbar