TV Comedy – Personal Taste?

Home Forums General Chat TV Comedy – Personal Taste?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rosie-Lee Rosie-Lee 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Rosie-Lee
    Rosie-Lee
    Participant

There have been various TV comedy shows or sitcoms in the past that have been considered funny and very popular, but which have left me cold.  The ones that spring to mind are: Bread, Birds Of A Feather, Just Good Friends, George & Mildred, and many others that I could dredge up.  Yet I consider that I have a broad sense of humour, so why didn’t they inspire my funny bone?  The same could be said of American TV shows, of which I am generally a fan, but the much lauded Seinfeld didn’t do anything for me.   If I had to list my favourite comedies this would include: Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, Ever Decreasing Circles, Butterflies, Porridge, Dad’s Army, One Foot In The Grave, ‘Allo ‘Allo, Father Ted, and Frasier (my top show of all), Cheers, Taxi, The Phil Silvers Show (Sgt. Bilko), Everybody Loves Raymond, Will & Grace, Third Rock From The Sun.  Shows like Keeping Up Appearances, League Of Gentlemen and Only Fools & Horses just scrape into the making me laugh category.

Why is it that Fools & Horses has most of the country roaring with laughter, but I am only mildly amused (although their Batman & Robin did make me laugh out loud).  And how is it, over 50 years later, I can still laugh fit to bust at Sgt Bilko, as I did when I sat watching it with my dad?

Perhaps it’s a Chaplin v. Laurel & Hardy thing?   (I prefer Laurel & Hardy).

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

css.php
Skip to toolbar