Vocal Adrenaline open a can of whoopass on New Directions in this week’s [[Glee (TV Series)|Glee]]. In the penultimate episode before the glee clubs head for regionals, Vocal Adrenaline embarks on a campaign of merciless taunting of Schuester’s glee club, starting with – gasp – yet another Queen number. Messrs Taylor and May will be sitting in their castles counting all the cash from this latest wave of Queen nostalgia. Thanks, Glee!
So, a psyched-out New Directions is tasked with channelling their anger and frustration into funk songs. Because they’re in a funk, get it?
Schuester’s equally bummed out because his divorce is final. He takes the opportunity to mess with Sue Sylvester’s head by pretending to be in love with her. Come to think of it, Schuester goes on a minor rampage this week, between smashing a Cheerios trophy and whoring himself to Sue in order to hurt her feelings.
Joining Will Schuester in Doucheville is Rachel’s ex boyfriend Jesse. Playing the part of the Vocal Adrenaline heartbreaker disconcertingly like a Smallville villain, Jesse invites Rachel outside only to join in with the rest of his friends in egging her. What a git.
Puck and Finn have some fabulous gung-ho moments where they slash the tyres of Vocal Adrenaline’s cars and they’re ready to give the group a pounding after the egg incident. And let’s not forget that fantastic moment in Terri’s store where they duet on Beck’s Loser. Another partnership that works is Quinn and Mercedes and their cute, unexpected bond. I like how this thread has played out between the once-popular cheerleader and the always-unpopular Mercedes. Even if it is a big metaphor for “social outcasts together” sometimes.
I’m not gonna recap the whole episode today, suffice to say, it was an enjoyable episode of Glee. I wasn’t particularly fond of any of the songs this week, and I cringed my way through Finn and Puck doing Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch. I actually think that New Directions perhaps needs an ‘evil’ glee club to vibe off, and that worked well for me.
And as ever, Sue Sylvester managed to snare almost every spot in my quotes of the week segment…
Quotes from Funk
- Puck: “The difference was our football team sucked. Those guys are golden.”
- Sue: “And as soon as you hurry up and lose at regionals, this choir room will become my official trophy annex. You know what it has to look like? Elvis’s gold record room at Graceland. Except I’ll be wanting far fewer morbidly obese white women waddling around and crying.”
- Sue: “For me, trophies are like herpes. You can try to get rid of them, but they just keep coming. Sue Sylvester has hourly flare-ups of burning, itchy highly contagious talent.”
- Schuester asks if the glee clubbers have any regrets. Rachel: “Giving my heart to Jesse only to have it crushed just like the stage floor at a performance of Stomp.” Quinn: “Thinking ‘Trust me’ was a sensible birth control option.”
- Sue: “He successfully ignited its flatulence and a city burned William. That young terrorist went on to become the first gay president of the United States, Abraham Lincoln.”
- Mercedes: “When white people try to be funky you end up with KC and the Sunshine Band” It’s funny ‘coz it’s true…
- Sue: “Something strange happened yesterday. I felt something below the neck. Dare I admit it? I have feelings for Will Schuester. Sexy, non-murdering feelings.”
- Terri: “I have this compulsive need to crush other people’s dreams.” Finn: “Yeah, that’s what Mr Schue said.”
- Quinn: “We’re the Unwed Mothership Connection.”
- Maid: “She won’t leave her room and refuses her protein shakes.”
- Jesse and his friends egg Rachel in the car park. Rachel: “And now I have nightmares about the mothers of the little baby chicks coming after me for revenge.”
- Kurt: “Mr Schue, Rachel’s one of us. We’re the only ones who get to humiliate her.”
- Puck: “We can’t just let Vocal Adrenaline get away with turning Rachel into an omelette.”
- Sue: “Even your breath stinks of mediocrity.”