That’s right, lovely Rihanna holds the top spot for a second week – but this week she’s fending off the nation’s premier boyband (now with added Robbie factor). And Russell Brand’s missus inches a little higher up the chart with Firework. In a couple of years, he’ll be a kept man.
Most odd entry in the chart this week has to be The Royal British Legion and their hit 2 Minute Silence. Do you think it’s really a CD with 2 minutes of silence? Surely it’d be cheaper to just switch the stereo off for a couple of minutes?
- Rihanna – Only Girl (In The World): Brilliant, thumping club track. This puts the words ‘Rihanna’ and ‘return to form’ back in the same sentence. The video’s completely shit, but you can’t have everything, can you?
- Take That – The Flood: And speaking of comebacks (which we kind of were just now), after a weekend of heavy rotation Take That programming on ITV, the boys manage a respectable #2 with their first full-reunion single. It might have charted higher if the boys had done a bit more promotion instead of leaving it to the eleventh hour.
- Katy Perry – Firework: Shooting fireworks out of her boobie area, Katy continues to enthral and titillate us, even when she’s singing a ‘serious’ song. And like every Perry song, it’s absolutely everywhere at the moment. No complaints here!
- McFly ft Taio Cruz – Shine A Light: The second single from the ‘new’ McFly is another hit, as proclaimed by our resident McFly fanboi, OddOne. He’s still digging their new sound, even though he despises Taio Cruz!
- Alexis Jordan – Happiness: If I have to seek it out, then it’s not getting enough play on the music channels or radio stations. Hands up if you’ve actually heard this single?
- Mike Posner – Cooler Than Me: Posner hit the UK recently to capitalise on the success of his single thanks to a weak-voiced teenager in a karaoke competition. But Mikey Mike needs to follow up with a hot new single soon before we forget him as quickly as we plan to forget Cher Lloyd.
- Cheryl Cole – Promise This: Cheryl’s raucous pop tour de force that has divided opinion on this site right down the middle. But since this is my blog post, I’ll declare it a triumph and leave it at that 😛
- Bruno Mars – Just The Way You Are (Amazing): Ah, Bruno. Never change, you sensitive soul. The women of the developed world need you to reassure them that their physical imperfections are just adorable! But it’s nearly time for a new single, dontcha think?
- Adele – Make You Feel My Love: You saw this coming, right? That’s because you, like me, are clever and noticed this Bob Dylan classic getting sung a lot recently. Not least on last week’s episode of X Factor. It was only a matter of time before Adele’s version re-charted. After all, she’s the one who reinvigorated the track.
- Cee Lo Green – Forget You: And let’s not forget Cee Lo, the Lady Killer, and this fantastic – possibly one of the best of 2010? – song. Still awesome!
Topping the album chart this week is Susan Boyle with her latest, The Gift. Which probably means we’ll be seeing her some Sunday night on the Syco *ahem* X Factor. I can barely contain my lack of excitement…