As the decade known as “the Noughties” draws to a close, it’s time to ponder what mark the decade made musically. In this post, I’m going to ask you which bands have made the most impact in the last ten years.
Now, to help you out, I’ve gone and scoured the internet for bands that you might want to consider. If you want to suggest another band – leave a note in the comments saying who they are and why you chose them!
- Fall Out Boy – As emo met pop culture, Fall Out Boy became a massive force in music. Not only did they score a ton of hit singles and albums, but they helped bring a bunch of new bands to the public eye.
- Arctic Monkeys – Arguably reignited the whole indie scene with their debut album and proved you could work around the major labels and still get heard!
- Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails – Established acts like NIN and Radiohead both broke the mold with different payment models for their music that included “pay what you want” and graded payment options.
- Velvet Revolver reunited the scattered former members of GNR and gave them a fresh focus that hadn’t been heard in their music for years. Awesome supergroup for the 2000’s – also consider Chris Cornell and Audioslave.
- For consistency and stadium-filling records, Nickelback and Foo Fighters deserve a mention. Not particularly innovative, but sales would suggest they’ll make many people’s “top bands of 2000’s” lists!
- The White Stripes – Jack and Meg spent the decade producing their trademark stripped-back blues-rock. Seven Nation Army being definitely one of the most identifiable tracks of the decade…
- Then there’s the award-grabbing Elbow. Not my cup of tea, personally, but obviously somebody appreciates them 🙂
- Not pictured above, but one of my personal favourites – Kings Of Leon‘s innovative rock has endeared them to me and a legion of Fans (sorry for the shitty pun).
- Both The Killers and Muse have carved out formidable reputations in their respective niches. Brandon Flowers and his band have managed to keep their sound experimental and fresh, while the guys from Muse have crafted some cutting edge sounds over the decade.
Now, it’s over to you: Who are your favourite bands of the 2000’s?
There’s no right or wrong answer, this is totally about your opinions…