WHO IS THE LITTLE GIRL SEEN IN ‘THE IMPOSSIBLE ASTRONAUT’/’DAY OF THE MOON’?
- The little Girl is unsure of her own identity as she never seems to answer the presidents question of ‘who are you?’ (Maybe a link to a time lord never sharing their real names).
- She seems to have been brought up in America as she has a strong American accent.
- She has a fear of The Monsters.
- She seems to have been raised in a child orphanage as no parents are seen asking about her disappearance and Amy and Cantons search for her lead to the orphanage.
- The little girl has enourmas amounts of strenth as she rips her self free from the spacesuit
- She also seems to be very ill as whilst wearing the spacesuit described by River Song as a “life support system” she seems to fuction very well. However, after escaping from the space suit her health deteriarates and six months later her body dies (regenerates)
At the end of ‘The Day of the Moon’ we see her regenerate in the same way as the past 3 Doctors have all regenerated whilst their body dies.
I have two theories on who this girl may be, each as ridiculous and accountable as the last:
The little girl is Rory and Amys child: Amy and Rory love lives have continulously been seen to improve from the opening episode of Series 5 in which Amy seems fond of Rory but not too fond. We’ve seen their relationship grow with Amy riskily attempting to kill herself in order to see her fiance again (‘Amys Choice’) to her marrying him (‘The Big Bang’). We get the feeling that the next step in their relationship would be for them to have a child together and maybe that’s what has happened. Of course in ‘The Impossible Astronaut’ Amy tells the doctor that she is pregnant making this theory alot more valid. However, in ‘The Day of the Moon’ she counters this argument by telling the Doctor it was a ‘false alarm’. In my own opinion, I got the feeling this was a lie on Amys behalf as she was afraid that the Doctor may attempt to get her to leave the TARDIS for the safety of her child.
As for the little girl regenerating at the end of ‘The Day of the Moon’ her time lordiness (for want of a better word) may due to her being brought up and carried in the TARDIS by Amy so her body would be linked to the time lord machine and therefore cause her to have some Time Lord characteristics. This could then link to the reason for her health being so bad as the result of a Human/Time Lord metacrisis is VERY BAD as we saw in ‘Journeys End’ with Donna.
I like this theory as it would then give Moffat the chance to create a dramatic storyline of Rory believing the little girl is the child of Amy and The Doctor continuing the almost story arc of Rory’s paranoia around their relationship.
2. The little girl is Rivers and The Doctors child: Much alike Rory and Amy’s relationship we’ve seen the relationship between the Doctor and River grow over time. Now the sexual tension between the two has become more noticable as they meet each time with them finally having a little smooch in ‘The Day of the Moon’ and we see River senses she’s done this alot more in her padt and his own future. So we can easily be led to believe in her past they may have had a sexual ecounter. The concept of her being pregnant again becomes alot more valid in ‘The Impossible Astronaut’ with River seen hunched over and holding her stomach in the tunnels seconds before Amy tells the Doctor of her own pregnancy. Could this be a sign of River’s own pregnancy?
The idea of the child being half human (basing this on River being Human) and half Time Lord allowing her to regenerate at the end of ‘The Day of the Moon’. In the same way as my last theory this could mean the little girl is prone to being in pain and dying due to the impossibility of a Time Lord/Human metacrisis meaning the spacesuit life support machine is her only means of survival.
As for her living in an orphanage I only have one small impossible idea on this. Orphanages are usually homes to the children of whoms parents are both dead. Well, we know in the future River is due to die in the Library (‘Forest of the Dead’) and the Doctors due to die in his future (‘The Impossible Astronaut’) so maybe this is the reason for her being parentless.
Also it could be due to the Doctor being unaware of the pregnancy and River giving birth to her child in the storm cage facility and not being allowed to look after her child, so she could have been randomly placed in a orphanage on Earth. (As I said these theories may be seen as ridiculous).
Who knows that Steven Moffat’s prepared for us but I’m sure we’re going to find out very very soon. Leave your own theories in the comments and I hope you enjoyed my own.